ASF local programs are informal gatherings that help ASF members connect with and learn from other funders with few or no staff. Local programs take place across the country and cover a wide range of topics. Some local programs are general networking opportunities without a topic—just a chance for funders to network and share best practices. Most local programs have no registration fee.
Recent Local Program Topics
- Succession Strategy
- Impact Investing
- Getting to Impact
- Streamlining your Grantmaking
- Investment Oversight
Check our Educational Programs calendar to find a local program near you. The calendar is updated frequently, so be sure to check it often.
Local Engagement Groups
In 2013 we initiated our Local Engagement Group Initiative to provide opportunities for ASF members to connect with and learn from other funders with few or no staff in their community. LEG programs are planned and hosted by members with support from both ASF staff and regional associations. Past participants agree LEG programs are an opportunity for peer networking, group discussions, sharing personal experiences, and learning something new.
Local Engagement Group Communities
- Coordinators: Allison Erdle, Washington Forrest Foundation; Celeste Land, Land Family Foundation
- Program Partners: Southeastern Council on Foundations (SECF) and Washington Regional Association of Grantmakers (WRAG)
- Coordinators: Holley Martens, Char & Chuck Fowler Family Foundation; Chann Fowler-Spellman, Char & Chuck Family Foundation; Brenda Norton, Norton Family Foundation
- Program Partner: Philanthropy Ohio
San Francisco Bay Area
- Coordinators: Abbey Banks, Banks Family Foundation; Lisa Parker, Lawrence Welk Family Foundation
- Program Partner: Northern California Grantmakers
- Coordinator: Regina McGraw, Wieboldt Foundation
- Program Partner: Donors Forum
- Coordinator: Denise Porche, Island Foundation
- Program Partner: Associated Grant Makers (AGM)
ASF offers an opt-in email discussion list for Local Engagement Group (LEG) communities. Members can use the LEG email discussion lists to continue their conversation between programs.
Looking for other ways to connect locally?
Search the Member Directory to find other members near you!
Join the ASF Discussion List to seek guidance from ASF peers across the country.
Not yet a member? Join today and gain access to the above benefits and more.
“Our team found the discussion very informative and enjoyed the opportunity to meet colleagues in the foundation community. Celeste did a wonderful job facilitating and we look forward to attending other LEG programs in the future.”
—Mike M. Engley, Apple Federal Credit Union Education Foundation